Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Butternut Squash Bread

This makes 3 golden loaves of mouthwatering goodness.  Best fresh out of the oven or toasted in the morning, or toasted with some cheddar broiled on top until it bubbles. Etc. Etc. Etc.   You can braid the loaves to make them look special.

Butternut Squash Bread
In the bowl of a mixer, fitted with a dough hook, combine:
5 c. flour
1 1/2  tsp. salt
1/3 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. yeast
Mix to combine, then add:
1/2 c. hot water
1 c. warm milk
1/3 c. butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c. mashed, cooked butternut squash (warm)

Turn on the mixer and let all come together in a batter.  Add additional flour (approximately 2 1/2 to 3 cups) until the dough comes together in a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl.  Knead a few more minutes.  Let dough rise until doubled, about 1hour.  Shape into 3 loaves and put in loaf pans.  Cover and let rise about 30 min. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 min. until tops are golden.  Cool on wire rack.

Notes: This time, I used some sweetmeat squash for these and they were great, so try your favorite winter squash.   If you need tips on preparing squash, see here.

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

This was OF THE DEVIL! YEAH! Someday I'm going to try this at my house.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!