Monday, January 31, 2011

A Bit More Buttermilk

In recent years I have become a believer in using real buttermilk in my baking.  It is such a boost to texture and flavor.  Lana's Waffles were what converted me from the old vinegar-in-milk trick to the real deal.  They are light and amazing!  Buttermilk is a bit more pricey than regular milk, so I have discovered this trick and thought I would pass it on.  It works out well for me, since I have powdered milk in abundance in my food storage.

Make up 2 quarts of powdered milk, according to the directions on your powdered milk.
Add 1 cup buttermilk (this is the smallest size at my store, and usually sells for 37 cents)

Stir together. Let the milk sit on the counter until it clabbers.  This takes 8-12 hours.

You magically have 2 quarts of buttermilk now for 37 cents!  (I no longer count the price of my powdered milk, because I bought it quite awhile ago.) You can do this with regular milk too.  I use an empty milk carton to store my buttermilk.  Remember to label it so your kids don't get a surprise on their breakfast cereal!  You can use the homemade buttermilk to make a new batch too.  Every now and then, buy a fresh start.  Buttermilk will last quite a while in your fridge.

Some of my other favorite recipes calling for buttermilk are:
Buttermilk Syrup
Ever-Ready Scones
Oatmeal Pancakes

Later this week, I'll be posting a new banana bread using buttermilk, so make a batch up and be ready!

Jenny

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Wow. Who'da thunk? You are so clever. Oh, and I must say, I made a large beef pot pie for dinner Monday night. It was a hit, and the crust was so yummy. Thanks for the tip on how to roll it out between plastic wrap.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!