Monday, July 26, 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes

This recipe is a family favorite with Nathan's extended family.  We have them anytime there is a get-together that involves breakfast foods.  They are tender and tasty, and a different texture than you usually have with pancakes, I love to eat them with a fruit syrup. Plan ahead, some of the ingredients need to sit together over-night.

Oatmeal Pancakes
2 c. oatmeal
2 c. buttermilk
Stir together, cover and chill overnight.
In the morning add:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 c. butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (opt.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. flour

Stir until moist.  Add buttermilk if needed to thin.  Cook on a hot griddle.

Notes:  These can give you a bit of a headache to cook, so let me tell you what I have learned.  Set the temperature of your griddle lower than you usually would for pancakes.  These take longer to cook on each side, but they brown really quickly, so keep it cooler so they will cook and not burn.  They are very tender and can be hard to flip without falling apart, so make them small until you are comfortable with the process.  You may need to spray cooking spray on the griddle between batches. They are worth these little quirks!!!

Jenny

2 comments:

The Jacobson Family said...

A blog that I read (moneysavingmom) was asking for an oatmeal pancake recipe on her facebook page so I left a link to your recipe...hope that was ok! I am excited to try them out.

Jenny McAllister said...

I love links to my blog dropped about the internet! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!