Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Basic Granola (cereal type)

This is a very basic recipe, but you can add what you like, just substitute another grain for part of the oatmeal.  Add raisins or other dried fruits when you serve it.  We love this in milk or with a dollop of yogurt for breakfast.

Basic Granola
14 c. oatmeal
2 c. wheat germ
2 c. coconut
Combine in a large bowl.  In a smaller bowl, stir together:
1 3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
1 c. water
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
Pour over oatmeal mixture.  Stir to coat evenly.  Spread on two large cookie sheets and bake at 225 degrees for 2 hours.  (I bake both cookie sheets at once, one on the bottom rack and one on the center rack in the oven. At one hour, I stir the mix and switch positions of the cookie sheets.)  Cool and store in an airtight container. 

Notes:  The original recipe calls for 8 c. oatmeal and 6 c. rolled wheat.  I have a tough time finding the rolled wheat, so I have always made it with all oatmeal.  You can substitute all you like.  I have cut it in half before as well. This smells heavenly while you bake it!

post-script:  I found some rolled wheat and used it to make a batch of granola, it makes the granola very tough to chew...so if you like chewy, go for it, but if not, leave it out.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!