Monday, November 11, 2013

Sourdough Ezekiel Bread

This bread has taken effort over time to get it right.  It has become a favorite with my older children and makes great breakfast toast.  We eat one loaf fresh, and I freeze the others for another day's craving. Don't be tempted to leave out the sugar or the honey, optimal flavor goes with including both. If you need a sourdough start recipe, click here.
Ezekiel 16:19 My meat also which I gave thee, fine flour, and oil, and honey wherewith I fed thee...

Sourdough Ezekiel Bread
2 c. sourdough start at room temperature
4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. salt
1 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 1/3 c. hot water
(more flour, whole wheat or white, to form dough)

In a mixer fitted with a dough hook combine all ingredients except extra flour, and mix well.  With mixer running, add more flour a little at a time until the dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl. It will probably take 4-6 cups more flour.  Knead for about 5 min. or until dough is elastic. Let rise until double. Punch down and form into 4 loaves, and place in greased pans.  Let rise again.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 min.

Notes: I use all whole wheat flour and the result is a dense, chewy bread.  If you like a lighter crumb, use white flour and you could use warm milk for part of the liquid.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!