Monday, June 17, 2013

Italian Cheese Bread

I have a vague recipe for this posted with my pizza crust, but it is so pretty, I decided it deserved its own post. This can be made in under an hour, so it gets to accompany Italian dishes for week night meals often. Like many of my other recipes, this one is an old one from Taste of Home.  (I should just say here, the original 4-5 years of Taste of Home was magical as the nation sent their favorite recipes to each other, and we were all blessed by it!)

Italian Cheese Bread
In a mixing bowl, combine:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. quick rise yeast
Stir together.  Add:
1 Tbsp. oil
1 c. very warm water
Stir together to form a soft dough, adding additional flour if needed. Turn onto floured board and knead 1-2 min. until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise 20 min. Punch dough down and place on baking pan, pat into a 12 inch circle.

Topping: 
Brush dough with 1/3 c. prepared Italian salad dressing
Combine the following:
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
dash of pepper
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Sprinkle over salad dressing, top with
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 min. Slice with a pizza roller and serve warm.
Notes: You can cut this into sticks or wedges.  I usually knead my dough in the bowl, and leave it in the same bowl for the rise.  I like to bake this on a pizza stone.
Jenny

1 comment:

Becky said...

a quick yummy bread is always a must!
I loved the old Taste of Home! remember anticipating it coming, and hanging out at the park reading it while kids played!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!