Saturday, June 4, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

I've tried several recipes for red beans and rice, but this one is my very favorite!  Makes my mouth water to type it out.  In the photo I have used a bulk sausage that has bacon in it.

Red Beans and Rice
1 1/2 c. bacon, chopped
1 lg. onion, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
dash hot pepper sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, (do not drain)
salt and pepper
cooked rice to serve

Place bacon in a saucepan and cook until fat starts to run.  Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cover and cook gently for 15 min. until softened.  Add bay leaf, hot pepper sauce, tomato paste, parsley and kidney beans.  Cover and simmer 30 min., stirring occasionally.  Salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and serve over hot cooked rice.

Notes:  I've posted the original recipe, and this is what I like to do different: cook bacon (you can also use some bulk sausage) and drain most of the fat before adding the onion, pepper and garlic.  Because of the reduced fat, when you add the beans, you may want to add water to adjust the sauce consistency. Continue as directed.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!