Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Applesauce Cookies

It is that time of year when my neighbor's wonderful transparent apples are ready to sauce!  They are so nice to share with us!  When I was writing the last post, I was surprised that I had not already shared this recipe, so here it is, in time for fresh applesauce.  This is a pillow cookie that I think is so wholesome I would gladly serve them to my kids for breakfast.  (After all, I serve things doused with syrup all the time...)

Applesauce Cookies
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs

2 c. applesauce
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. oatmeal
2 c. raisins (optional, but I sure put them in!)

Mix sugars, shortening, eggs, applesauce and soda well.  Stir in flour, salt and spices.  Stir in oatmeal and raisins.  Drop by teaspoonsful on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 10 min.  Remove and cool completely before storing, otherwise the moist cookies will stick together.  Makes 7 dozen.

Notes: To help with storing, you can stack with waxed paper between layers of cookies.  I like to let them cool and then freeze them in baggies--if they haven't all been eaten.

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

I'm putting these on my to make list.... hope you come and pick LOTS of transparent apples this week from our tree. And then, in October, you can pick the red ones :) from the other tree.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!