Friday, August 19, 2011

My Shortening is Soft, and other Thoughts About August.

I reached for the shortening to make biscuits, it looked normal when I opened it, but when I stuck in my spoon, it went squish.  It is too hot! Too hot to think.  Too hot to cook.  If we have one month that I could skip year after year, it is August.  My mind feels just like that poor shortening: trying to hold it together, but underneath it all, squish.

My garden likes the heat.  I harvested 4 eggplants yesterday.  Nobody told me they were like zucchini!  Prolific production and the same reception at the table.  The only difference is that I don't have any recipes for eggplant quick bread or eggplant cookies.  And I am positive my children do not want me to research this!  Eggplants are rather appealing to the eye, deep purple and perfectly formed.  I am making an Eggplant Parmesan as soon as it is not too hot to cook.... I've only had one ripe tomato, about the size of a nickel.  Hoping for more soon. The yellow summer squash is going crazy, and the zucchini would be perfect for cookies, if it weren't so hot.

This is my theory:  you know how some people get seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in the fall and winter when the gray weather sets in?  I get that in August.  I sit a lot.  I eat sugar and put on weight.  I can't sleep for the tossing in the sticky heat.  My house gets atrocious for lack of care.  I look around and wonder why my husband keeps me.

Then there is back-to-school.  My children are my friends and I always dread the time when I am supposed to send them away again.  I do, however, love to buy school supplies.  There is something so happy about clean paper and new pens, all the possibilities!

So, what are we eating?  Not much that can't be microwaved!  I did put a pork roast in my crock pot with barbecue sauce this week.  Good ole' crock pot.  And last night we had hot dogs and onions with jello jigglers.  I may try microwaving my eggplant Parmesan so I can eat that yummy stuff.

My happy thought is that August is almost over.  September and October are my favorites so we will cook some more soon--just as soon at the heat breaks.

Jenny

4 comments:

Mrs_Snelly said...

Can I have your eggplant parmesan recipe? And some eggplant if you have extra . . . I've always been kinda curious to try it; I tried one recipe once and it flopped. I may try it again when I feel brave, but in the meantime can I have yours? :) Good luck with back-to-school stuff, it makes me wish I was going back to school myself! And if you need a pick-me-up, CR is happy to play just about anytime!!

Nanette said...

Oh I feel the same. We don't eat anything that can't be grilled in August!
What does it mean if your brain is squish during the winter months as well?

Karma said...

So does this mean you don't feel blah in Feb.? I feel sorry for people who don't have seasons - I love spring and the world warming up, summer for all the fresh produce and grilling, winter for Christmas and snowmen, but as I get older fall has become my favorite - I love getting out the sweaters, long walks enjoying the leaves turning and the rebirth of baking!!!! Thanks for your thoughts - I love your squishy brain!

Jenny McAllister said...

Otter Mom: if you click on the red Eggplant Parmesan, you will find it is a link to the recipe. :) Salting and letting the eggplant get rid of the extra water is very helpful. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!