Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hot Dogs with Onions

The lowly hot dog gets a lot of use at our house.  My favorite way to have them is always cooked over an open flame, but that only happens once in awhile.  This is the method I use to cook them the rest of the time.

Hot Dogs with Onions
16 hot dogs
1 large onion, sliced thin
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
hot dog buns for serving

Place hot dogs in a skillet, big enough for them to all touch the bottom.  Add enough water, just to cover the bottom of the skillet.  Heat on high. Let the skillet boil dry and continue to heat. You will need to turn the hot dogs and move them around in the pan to get all sides cooked the way you like.

The hot dogs will begin to char.  Because of the initial boiling, they will be plump and come out with a caramelized browning. This is the bit I like the best!

 Meanwhile, in another skillet, melt butter and add sliced onions.  Heat on med-high until caramelized and limp.
Top hot dogs with onions and other condiments.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!