Friday, May 20, 2011

Jello Jigglers and a Clean Microwave

Years ago, my friend Becky was helping at my house after I had one of my babies.  She used a bowl of boiling water to clean my microwave and I was impressed how easy it was! I've adapted this trick to do two things at once and make one of my children's favorite after school treats at the same time.

Meet my microwave.  Its name is The Genius and it holds a special place in my Retro Appliances line-up.  This is the only before photo, because if you think I'm going to show you the inside of my dirty microwave, you're crazy.  Let's just say, it was high time to clean it. First, make the jigglers:

Jello Jigglers
3 c. water
2 large pkg. Jello, any flavor

Pour the water into a microwave safe bowl, and micro-cook for 6 min. Take the boiling water out and stir in the Jello until it is all dissolved.  Pour into a 9x13 which has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Place in the fridge until firm, about 2 hours.  Cut into desired shapes.  We are boring most times and ours are square, but you can get out the cookie cutters and let your kids help make them fun.

Clean the microwave:  After you put your jigglers in the fridge, remove the turn table from the microwave and set it in the sink.  Use a wet cloth and wipe out the microwave.  All the cooked on bits will wipe right off after the softening effect of the boiling water.  Wipe and rinse the turn table and return it to the microwave, and your done. 

Notes:  The original jigglers recipe calls for 2 1/2 c. water.  We are boiling a bit of that off, but I've also found that this much jello will still make nice jigglers with 3 cups.  My microwave is 1100 watts.  You may have to adjust cooking time.

Jenny

5 comments:

Nanette said...

Oh man! I need to try this today! Thank you :)

Becky said...


aahh, I made your post! I feel honored!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great post. Imposing cleanliness will make a good impression on cooking for visitors and family members as well.


Oven Cleaning brisbane | Oven Clean

Unknown said...

I do get where she is going with this. Your friend sure has some great methods for cleaning out the microwave. Boiling water inside a microwave will make sure that the heat inside will turn the water into steam, and steam can easily seep into the crusty bits inside and soften them for easier removal.

Lewis Simpson

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!