Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Coconut Cake

I have a coconut cake confession: I collect them.  Pictures of them mostly, but also from every Southern foods cookbook I own, there are always these beautiful, tall white cakes that look so scrumptious! But I don't generally make layer cakes. My life always seems to be a bit too pinched on time to really turn out a showstopper; also who knows if I can? Cakes can be fickle and to get a tasty, and tall, not-leaning-to-one-side cake is a feat. This cake is moist and tasty and I'm pretty sure wouldn't hold up to being made in layers because it is so soft, but yummy and pretty and starts with a mix.  My mother gave me the recipe, you will like it, I think. I do!

Coconut Cake
1 white cake mix
 3 eggs
1 c. Milk or coconut milk
1 c. Sour cream
1/4 c. Oil
1 c. Coconut
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Coconut extract (opt.)

Mix all ingredients except coconut, beating with a hand mixer for 2 min. Stir in coconut. Pour into a greased 9x13 and bake at 350 for 30-35 min. Until top is golden and middle springs back when touched. Cool. (This will shrink a bit as it cools. Don't be nervous, that is what the frosting is for!)

Frosting:
3 Tbsp. Butter, softened
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp Coconut extract
3-4 c. Powdered sugar
A little milk
Coconut for sprinkling on top

Mix butter and cream cheese and flavorings until smooth add 2 cups powdered sugar and a teaspoon or so of milk. Mix adding more powdered sugar and milk to make a good spreading consistency. Frost cake, sprinkle coconut on top.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!