Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mini Corn Dogs

All the rage in childhood circles now is Mini Corn Dogs. They do not require a stick, perfectly sized for little hands, and they are fun to eat too. But have you priced them? Might as well buy them from the fast food place! So, I am sharing my recipe for a homemade version. The coating on these is lighter than you will find on the commercial ones, but the children taste testing these didn’t seem bothered. They slicked up one plate while I was frying them, coming in and out of my kitchen repeatedly for more. They do not take long. This much batter will coat two packages of hot dogs, but if you don’t want that many, it would be yummy to make onion rings with the rest.


Mini Corn Dogs

1 c. flour
½ c. yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1 beaten egg

Mix the above ingredients together in a small bowl. Use a whisk to make it smooth. If you find it too thin, add a tablespoon or two of flour, alternately, if you find it too thick, add a bit of milk. It should be about the same consistency as waffle batter.

Heat two inches of oil in a pan on medium high heat. I use my smallest saucepan, it will only hold four or five dogs at a time, but if I am working alone, that is about all I can handle at once, and this saves on oil.

Open two packages of hot dogs and dry them with paper towels. Cut each hot dog into 4 chunks. Drop the pieces into the batter. Use a fork to cover each piece with batter then lift and let a little batter drain back into the bowl. Remove one at a time to fry in hot oil until golden brown. Cool on a plate that has been covered with a paper towel. Yield 64 mini corn dogs.


Hot dogs in the batter
Finished Mini Corn Dogs

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!