Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Maria Elena's Tortillas

When we would have a neighborhood potluck, I would make sure to know where these were on the table, and to get in position to get one! Maria Elena was gracious enough to show a group of girls how to make these in her kitchen, and I was one of those 12 year olds.

Maria Elena's Tortillas
 Part 1
1 c. milk
1/2 c. water
4 Tbsp. butter
Part 2
5 c. flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder

Mix and warm Part 1 ingredients.  Mix Part 2 ingredients.  Combine part 1 and 2.  Knead dough a little.  Shape into 19 or 20 balls.  Roll until thin.  Place on a hot, ungreased skillet until bubbles form.  Turn over and press with a dish towel. (You  make the towel into a kind of ball shape and press down on the tortilla, be careful not to get burned!) Repeat on first side.  Place between folds of a dish towel to breathe.  When ready to eat, turn stack upside down and start from the bottom.  Makes 20 tortillas.
Jenny

1 comment:

Nanette said...

I tried to make classic tortillas today and the recipe I had failed miserably...most likely because I do not have an electric mixer. I should have tried these and promise to next time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!