Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tangy Beef Stroganoff

This is a nice, basic recipe from Taste of Home.  It is versatile, I use it sometimes with ground beef.  Sometimes I serve it over noodles, sometimes I stir the noodles into the sauce for easier serving at our table.  I like balsamic vinegar in it.

Tangy Beef Stroganoff
1 lb. sirloin steak
1/4 c. butter or margarine
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. sliced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp. flour
1 c. water
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1c. sour cream
Hot cooked noodles

Cut beef into strips or cubes, in a large skillet over medium high heat, cook beef in butter until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon and keep warm.  In the pan juices, cook mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender; stir in flour.  Add water, lemon juice, vinegar, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 min.  Stir in sour cream and beef; heat through, but do not boil.  Serve over noodles.  Garnish with parsley and paprika if desired.  Yield 4 servings.

Notes:  If you substitute ground beef for sirloin, omit butter.  I add the garlic and onion while I brown the hamburger, then spoon off fat if there is too much, and proceed as directed.  I also substitute canned mushrooms for fresh if that is what I have on hand, in doing this, you can just add the canned mushrooms to the browned burger in the skillet and omit the saute step.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!