Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sour Cream Potatoes

I grew up in Idaho and my mother always called these Yummy Potatoes, my sister calls them Cheesy Potatoes, and here in my Utah neighborhood, they are called Funeral Potatoes.  I will concede (with all my Idaho heart) that they are the ultimate comfort food. 

Sour Cream Potatoes
1 bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (24 oz.)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. grated cheese
1/2 c. melted butter
3 Tbsp. dried, minced onion
1/2 c. milk

Empty bag of frozen hash browns into a large bowl.  Combine soup, sour cream, 1 c. grated cheese, melted butter and milk.  Pour over hash browns, stirring to coat.  Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake at 350 for 50-60 min.

My Notes:  It is traditional to top these with crushed cornflakes and a little butter. You could also substitute cracker crumbs or bread crumbs.  I prefer them just topped with cheese. You can use about any style frozen potatoes or other cooked potatoes. Left-over baked potatoes, cut into cubes are particularly nice.

Jenny

2 comments:

AO said...

From one Idaho heart to another....yes, I heart Idaho potatoes of any kind :) Missing the circle....and our food discussions. Tried some new recipes this week....with veggies!

The Jacobson Family said...

Love these too! Tanille makes them with frozen crinkle french fries and they are so good. My grandma's are my favorite....she shreds her own potatoes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!