Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Roasted Vegetables

This is a basic recipe that can be adapted.  I include it here, because growing up, potatoes were baked, boiled or fried, but I had no idea how to roast them when I married and started a home of my own.  I learned to love roasted vegetables in New Zealand where they were a staple on the side of the plate.  The ladies there roast pumpkin, and swedes (a large rutabaga) alongside the carrots and potatoes. You can use sweet potatoes, yams, squash, whatever you like.


Roasted Vegetables
3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
7 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, minced
olive oil
parsley
salt and pepper

Combine vegetables in a large bowl and mince the garlic over the top of all. Vegetables should be as dry as possible so the oil sticks to them nicely. Drizzle with olive oil, about 2-3 Tbsp. and stir.  Add salt, pepper and parsley or other desired seasonings.  Spread all on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 45 min. Stirring or turning the vegetables halfway through cooking time. They are ready when they are fork tender.

Notes:  Garlic is optional.  Rosemary with potatoes is a nice combination, and really you can substitute any herbs or spice you like for the parsley.  You can use any oil you like too. The oil helps the herbs stick and protects the vegetable from drying out in the dry heat of the oven.
Jenny

1 comment:

The Land of the Blue Flower said...

It is almost midnight and i am looking at this…. I am getting hungry. This recipe feels like comfort food.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!