Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Old Fashioned Apple Cake

I am on an apple cake mission this fall.  This is the second cake I have tried, both delicious in their own way.  I'll share the other soon.  This is a dark, moist cake with a texture like a fruit bread.  I think it would also bake up nicely in loaf pans.  My kids inhaled it.  I will have to make it again soon, as the flavor haunts me in my empty kitchen....

Old Fashioned Apple Cake
1 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cardamom
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 medium tart apples, peeled and grated
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cardamom sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.  Beat in water and extracts.  Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture.  Stir in apples, nuts and chips.  Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch fluted tube pan. Bake at 325 for 60-70 min. or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 min; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.  Combine sugar and cardamom in a blender; process 1 min.  Sprinkle 3-5 Tablespoons over cooled cake.  Store remaining sugar in an airtight container for another use.  Yield 12-15 servings.

Notes:  This is the original recipe from Taste of Home 1998.  I used oil instead of butter.  I also combined only 1/4 c. sugar with a little cardamom to use for sprinkling.  If you don't have cardamom, I am sure the cake will still be excellent.  You could use cinnamon sugar for sprinkling.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!