Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Popovers

Popovers are a steam-leavened quick bread that puff up to become basically hollow inside.  I think they are novel and fun.  I lost the recipe from my college days and tried a few that bake at crazy high temperatures and burn (Grrrr!), so it was a relief to find this good basic recipe.  Serve popovers along side soups and stews or casseroles.  My kids like to fill their hollow insides with a bit of butter and jelly.

Popovers
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1/3 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. milk

Combine eggs, flour, salt and milk in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour batter equally into 12 well-greased muffin cups.  Bake 45-50 min. or until popovers are well-browned and firm to the touch.  Serve right away.

Notes:  It is important to preheat the oven all the way to 375 before putting the popovers inside and leave the oven closed until late in their cooking time, as the steam generated from the preheated oven is what makes them puff.  These could be also be filled with chicken salad, yum! This recipe is adapted from one in Sunset Breads.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!