Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cranberry Orange Butter

Remember when I made the Cranberry Gumdrops that I said I'd share the cranberry butter recipe if it turned out great? Well, it is great!  Tasty and a cheery color. I've included the how-to on making the cranberry juice used in the gumdrops, but you could also use it in beverages or other cooking.  It is incredibly sour, so it will need to be treated accordingly.  This butter is not a flavored butter, it is in the same idea of a spiced fruit spread, like apple butter.

Cranberry Orange Butter
1 pkg. (12 oz.) cranberries, fresh or frozen
4 c. water
pinch of salt  (opt.)

Pick over and rinse the cranberries.  Combine with water and salt in a saucepan.  Cook over moderate heat, stirring and mashing often until all the berries have popped and become very soft, 5-10 min.
Pour into a sieve lined with two layers of fine cheesecloth and set over a bowl.  Let the juice drain, pressing very lightly on the pulp.  Reserve the juice for another use.  Refrigerate the cranberry pulp until cool.

Place the cranberry pulp in the bowl of a food processor, fitted with a chopping blade (or you could try using a blender)  add the following:
1/2 a large orange, peeled and segmented
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamom
3 drops orange oil

Process until well blended and to desired consistency.  Store in the refrigerator.  Makes about 2 1/4 cups.  Serve on toast.

Notes: You could use ginger or allspice or cloves in place of the cardamom, or you could make it your own by adding whatever you like. Start with a pinch at a time for some of the stronger spices. I'm pretty sure you could freeze this if you didn't want it all now. If you try it, let me know if it was successful.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!