Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pastel Marshmallows (Homemade)

I have wanted to try making marshmallows for years.  Last weekend, was somehow the time and after looking over all my recipes for them, I selected this one, flavored and colored by Jello.  They were a hit with kids and adults, and easier to make than I thought.  In fact the only tricky or time consuming thing was cutting and rolling the candy. Here they are (blue) pictured with another dipped candy.

Pastel Marshmallows
1 (3 oz.) package Jello (any flavor)
2/3 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
powdered sugar for rolling

In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine boiling water and Jello and sugar.  Heat and stir until all the sugar and jello crystals dissolve.  Do not boil.  Blend in corn syrup.  Chill until cool and slightly thickened. (I chilled mine for about 25 min.)

Spray with cooking spray a wax papered, 8 inch square pan.  Beat gelatin mixture at highest speed of the mixer until soft peaks form. About 5 minutes.
A soft peak will hold its shape, but still fold over on itself as you lift the beaters from the candy.
Pour into pan.  Let stand overnight in the refrigerator.
Turn candy onto powdered sugared board and cut, rolling all cut surfaces in powdered sugar. Marshmallows will store a few days in the refrigerator after cutting, but only loosely cover them, if at all, so they stay dry.

Notes:  I lifted my marshmallow from its pan using the waxed paper, and leaving it on the paper, cut it with a thin blade knife, rolling individual marshmallows in powdered sugar. Periodically, I washed my knife, as candy would accumulate on it. Next time I try this, I'm going to try using lengths of dental floss to cut this.  If you do it first, let me know if it works! My sis-in-law have decided that orange flavored marshmallows would make killer s'mores!

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!