Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles

This is the kind of Snickerdoodle I make.  The recipe comes from an old extension publication on food storage.  I grind hard white wheat to use in anything that calls for wheat flour, it is light in color and less nutty than its red wheat cousin. Snickerdoodles are fun to make with the kids, because it is nice to have extra hands to roll the dough in the cinnamon sugar.

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles
1 c. shortening, butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

2 Tbsp. sugar + 1 tsp. cinnamon for rolling

Cream together the sugar, shortening and eggs.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll balls in cinnamon sugar.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.  Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 min.  Remove from cookie sheet to cool on rack.  Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Note: if your first batch of cookies doesn't flatten out, you can press the balls down a bit before baking.  Mine always go flat without this step, so I left it out of this recipe, but it is included in the original.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!