Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Master Grocery List


Years ago, my friend Ruth introduced me to having and using a master grocery list. This is a tool for cutting down on trips to the store and boosting sanity by helping you remember obscure things, or maintain focus when the people you took to the store with you are distracting. (That always happens to me.) The basic idea is to make a list of everything you buy, to organize it in a way that assists you in the store, and to be able with a few minutes planning to create a useful shopping list.

 I have created many of these over the years, and have finally come up with The One for Me. It won’t be the same as The One for You, but inspiration and example can be a catalyst for your own list, and may save you some steps in trying it out. It really does help! I have used a photo-copied printed check list, an electronic check list, and my friend’s original example was a thin binder that contained her list, organized by isles of her favorite grocery store which saved her time in the store.

  After all of these lists, the one I have used for years now is a batch of 3x5 cards organized in categories, held together by a tiny clip and tucked into a pocket of my purse. I consult the cards while making a hand written list which I check off when I get to the store.  I have organized my list by isle of the grocery store in the past, but since my move, I have to rely on multiple stores to fill our grocery needs, so the categorized list has become the most useful tool for me. Also, as you probably already guessed, I am a pen and paper kind of person. My electronic list was useful, and there are apps out there for making them, but I lost it all when a device broke and decided it wasn’t as reliable as my paper. I told you, my list will NOT be yours, yours will be best for you, but I encourage you to make one.  You will save time, energy, money and headache with this one great tool.

 I will include mine in its entirety here to jog your memory as you think of your own. I have it in alphabetical order by category.


Baking Supplies: flour, self-rising flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, raisins, dried cranberries, baking soda, baking powder, salt, spices, vanilla, cake mixes, frosting, oil, olive oil, marshmallows, mini marshmallows, cocoa powder, brownie mix, corn syrup, molasses, chocolate chips, other baking chips, baking mix, shortening, pudding mixes, coconut, jello mixes, peppercorns, almond flavoring, maple flavoring, baking spray, corn starch, candy flavoring, mint flavoring, nuts

Bread, Grains, Pasta and Beans: rice, oats, bread, French bread, pita bread, tortillas, English muffins, bagels, hot cereal, cold cereal, cornmeal, granola, stuffing mix, pasta, macaroni and cheese, ramen, cous cous, chow mien noodles, popcorn, lentils, split peas, dried beans, rice a roni, bran, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, wheat germ, Arborio rice, bread crumbs, pancake mix, granola bars

Canned Goods: corn, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, white beans, cream corn, chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, chili, diced tomatoes, clams, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced chilies, pork and beans, mandarin oranges, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, chicken, pineapple tidbits, crushed pineapple, pineapple slices, water chestnuts, beets, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, sauerkraut, fruit cocktail, refried beans, olives

Condiments: peanut butter, jam/jelly, salsa, sweet pickles, dill pickles, pickle relish, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, gravy mixes, taco seasoning,  Lawry’s seasoned salt, onion soup packets, Italian dressing mix, teriyaki sauce, ranch dressing, Italian dressing,  ranch dressing mix, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, dried herbs, sesame oil, minced dried onion, bacon bits, French fried onions, bouillon, maple syrup, Nutella, balsamic vinegar, chili powder, vinegar

Dairy Section: milk, eggs, cheddar cheese, margarine, butter, sour cream, buttermilk, yogurt, cottage cheese, refrigerator biscuits, Swiss cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan, heavy cream, half and half

Drinks: Kool-aid packets, orange drink powder, lemonade powder, soda pop, drink pouches, water bottles, hot cocoa mix, chocolate milk powder, powdered creamer, bottled juice-apple, cranberry, tomato

Frozen Foods: corn, peas, corn dogs, burritos, broccoli/cauliflower/carrots (California) mix, meatballs, French fries, tater tots, hash browns, pizza, chicken breasts, chicken nuggets, OJ, lemonade, limeade, whipped topping, ice cream, O’Brien hash browns, individual meals (we use these for my husband’s lunches when he has access to a microwave at work-but I have to defend them like a ninja from my teenage boys who think they make great midnight snacks)

Household Goods/Cleaning Supplies: canning lids, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, sandwich bags, parchment paper, toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, toilet bowl cleaner, glass cleaner, fels naphtha soap, borax, face tissues, napkins, wax paper, lunch bags, cat food, cat litter, cat tray liners, matches, batteries, dish soap, dishwasher soap, lighter, laundry detergent

Hygiene Items and Grooming: men’s deodorant, women’s deodorant, feminine pads, liners, tampons, shampoo, conditioner, face scrub, face cleaning wipes, hair gel, hair spray, bar soap, body wash, lip balm, razors, shaving cream, cotton swabs, cotton balls, nail polish remover, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss picks, floss, liquid soap refill, mousse

Meats: chicken, pork, ground beef, bologna, smoked sausage, little smokies, pepperoni, hard salami, bulk sausage, Italian hot sausage, deli sandwich meat, ham, link sausage, hot dogs, bratwurst, beef, bacon

Pharmacy: ibuprofen, decongestant, allergy pills, gas-ex, anti-diarrhea pills, vitamins, sunscreen, cough syrup, band aids, eye drops, nasal saline spray, nasal decongestant spray, antibiotic ointment, butterfly band aids, gauze, personal lubricant, sinus rinse packets

Produce: apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, lettuce, peppers, onions, garlic, cucumbers, carrots, lemons, limes, tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, egg roll wraps, asparagus, pineapple, potatoes, yams, melon, avocado, berries, squash, dried fruit, green beans (other produce in season)

Snacks: potato chips, tortilla chips, candy, cookies, peanuts, crackers, saltines/oyster crackers, graham crackers

The list necessarily evolves over time, adding and eliminating things is normal. It is funny to think about what all is on the list. I list cake mixes, and then it is up to my menu planning to say if I mean chocolate or vanilla.  I say spices, and then leave it to my brain to note if that means I've run out of nutmeg or cinnamon--but I specify all the different kinds of canned pineapple that I buy. It only has to be what you need to keep you pointed in the right direction so you don't get home and realize you forgot the toilet bowl cleaner again, just because it isn't something you buy every week, or it isn't in a part of the store you normally walk through.

To go about making your own list, read over mine, decide on a format you want to try, copy anything from mine that is useful to you, and then go exploring through your pantry, refrigerator and freezer (don't forget the bathroom cabinets and the laundry room) to see what else you buy that isn't listed. After you make a list, take it out on some trips to the store with you and add as you go.  The more you personalize it, the more powerful it will become as a tool.

A warning: at first you may not think the list saves you time or money because your shopping trips are going to be more comprehensive, take longer and may cost more than usual, but as you fill your pantry with the items on your list, your trips to the store should decrease, and your gas, time and the extra dollars we all spend each time we are in the store will all fall away.  This can be especially useful if you have to travel a long distance to get to your grocery supplier.

When I make my weekly list I note the items we run out of as I go each week on the notepad which hangs on my fridge, then I sit down with the master list and menus, then double check my stores (or send my kids to do it :) and especially consult new recipes for specialty ingredients before I feel like my list is complete. Other posts that may be useful to you in this process are: The Fierce Pantry; The Making of a Menu. Hopefully this has been helpful! All the best!

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!