Thursday, May 5, 2022

My Idaho Kitchen: Storage Solutions

I have been spoiled for many years to have some lovely kitchens with lots of storage and prep space, but this last year, we have been renting an old farm house that is long on charm and short on storage.  Today I thought I would share some of the ideas that have made this kitchen functional even with its limited space. 

Welcome to my kitchen! This is the cabinet side. They hold pots and pans, my table dishes, some small appliances and a few pantry items.

This is the stove/other side. No, I didn't leave anything out, there really isn't a refrigerator in this room, but it is nearby. To keep my oven mitts close to the oven, I bought a heavy duty magnetic hook and placed it on the side of the oven to hold them. My spices and cooking oil live in this cupboard. It's a bit weird in that the lowest shelf is the most shallow with the shelves getting deeper as you go up. When I stand at the stove, it feels as if its lurking over me like Snoopy doing a vulture impression.
I believe this was supposed to be a breakfast nook, but it is quite small, and with the addition of the rolling dishwasher, which cannot be realistically stored anywhere else, it isn't useful for dining at all. The desk does get used, as does the step stool under the desk, since the top cabinets are above my reach.  When Nate or my boys are around, they reach things for me, but sometimes I'm on my own. The storage shelf has been a big help. I hang my aprons and a bag holder sleeve from the corner. And the open shelving holds a variety of other necessities.
The whole house, has only three built in drawers and that is the number of drawers my knives and utensils took up by themselves in my last house. At first I was concerned about where to put everything, but my friend LeAnn had some great ideas and brought me the two red crocks for holding utensils and the basket for the towels and hot pads. I have measuring cups in a shallow container, a bread "box", and a few other boxes holding office supplies. Some appliances live here, with towels draped over them.  If I were from another era, I would make them a cozy to keep the dust off.  It is much needed in this little alcove with the 2 windows and the Idaho wind driving dust in everywhere. I have stored other appliances and tools-the kind you use only a few times a year-in the basement. They are just in labeled boxes, but recently I thought it would be an improvement to store them in clear totes; visibility would save me getting down multiple boxes when I am looking for something.  I also use a cupboard in the room adjoining for a pantry. Serving dishes and cookbooks all live in the dining area.

  Though the prep space is tight, we have been able to feed a crowd a time or two.  I love being close to some of my family here, and although we have to use creative seating, it is still a joy to get together whenever we can. They don't care that the brownies have been stored on the microwave or the jello has been balanced on some quart jars atop the dishwasher.

There have been other frustrations, for instance: this has been the year of no birthday candles. I know they are here somewhere, but not sure where, and I always forget to purchase more. My children have blown out the table candles instead (even if it is an LED).  It's a good thing my kids are forgiving of their absent-minded mother. It has also been a year of less cooking than the ones before it.  There are several reasons for that, but space contributes.

Most of all, I am grateful: that I have such a place for nourishing bodies and hearts, that it has allowed me to be here in Idaho at an important time for my family, and that I have had the creative opportunity of being flexible and making-do. This combination always teaches me a little about myself. We have some very pleasant memories from our time here which we will cherish forever.

Jenny




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!