Wednesday, July 1, 2020

English Muffin Bread


I have tried making this before, but I had a rather disappointing recipe, so I am glad to find this one, it is a gem, being easy, fast, consistent and yummy. It works up like a batter bread; even though it includes yeast, there is no kneading.  It comes from the Comfort Foods cookbook our local library staff created.

English Muffin Bread
2 pkt. yeast (4 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
6 c. flour, divided
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
cornmeal for sprinkling

1) In a large bowl, combine 3 c. flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda, set aside.
2) Heat liquids until very warm.
3) Add liquids to flour mixture and beat well.  Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
4) Grease two loaf pans and sprinkle the bottoms with cornmeal. Spoon batter evenly into both pans and sprinkle tops with additional cornmeal.
5) Cover the pans and let rise in a warm place for 45 min.
6) Preheat the oven (do this about 20 min. before rise is finished) to 400 degrees. Bake for 25 min.
7) Remove bread from pans immediately and let cool on wire rack. To serve, slice and toast.

Notes: Let the bread rise until it is as tall as you want it, it doesn't get an oven spring. I like to eat one loaf and freeze the second for another day. I have also used powdered milk, 2/3 c. added to the dry ingredients and then add a total of 2 1/2 c. water. This is excellent with strawberry jam. Yum.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!