Thursday, July 9, 2020

Sweet 'n Hot Mustard


When I was quite small, because I remember the swing of my legs against the chair and looking way up to see my grandpa's face, I was introduced to hot mustard.  It was Thanksgiving day and I was seated next to my Grandpa Murdock who was passing food to me. When the hot mustard came by, he touched only the tip of the spoon to my plate, leaving a tiny puddle, and telling me, "That's all you need."  I tried it with my turkey. I remember how hot it was, but also that I kind of liked it.

I have tried making my own mustard different times, but last fall I found a recipe that has become a staple at our house, and one I now offer to others who enjoy this zesty condiment. We love it on ham, poultry, sub sandwiches and to dunk pretzels in, the ones from the store, or especially the homemade ones. We find new uses for it all the time because it is so good. Awesome with brats, so maybe make some for the summer grilling season and then some more for the turkey and ham holidays. The original recipe came from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook called Celebrate Autumn.  I have made some adjustments.

Sweet 'n Hot Mustard
2 oz. dry ground mustard
1/2 c. white wine vinegar

1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 Tbsp. honey
6 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. mayonnaise

In a small bowl, mix dry mustard and vinegar; cover and let stand for 8 hours or overnight.  In a small saucepan, mix egg, molasses, honey, sugar and mustard mixture.  Stir over low heat until thickened (about 5-7 min.). Allow to cool. Stir in mayonnaise; cover and refrigerate. Makes 2 cups.

Notes: This does have a thick, sticky texture. The original recipe stirs in about a teaspoon of mustard seed with the mayonnaise if you would like to try that. I have found it is cheaper to look for the dry ground mustard at places where they sell spices in bulk than to buy it at the spice aisle of the grocery store. If you are a real mustard maniac, and you want to double this recipe, you still only need to use one egg.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!