Monday, May 3, 2010

90 Minute Bread

My mother taught me to make bread when I was small, and this was the recipe I learned to make.  It makes 4 loaves and takes less than the 90 min. thanks to rapid rise yeast. If you have never made yeast bread before or would like to know more about rapid-rise yeast read Yeast Breads. If you think four loaves is too much, you can share with a friend or freeze the extras.

90 Minute Bread (revised for rapid-rise yeast)


Place in the mixer bowl, fitted with a dough hook:
7 c. flour
4 scant Tbsp. yeast
7 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt

Mix for a few seconds to distribute yeast, then add:

6 Tbsp. oil
4 c. hot water

Mix until dough forms, about 1 min.  (it will be very soft and look almost like batter). Let rest 15 min. Add 2-3 c. more flour and knead with dough hook about 7 min. Shape into loaves and let rise until dough starts to peek over the top of the pan. (20-30 min.) Bake at 400 degrees 20-25 min. or until golden and smelling wonderful. Remove from pan onto cooling rack.

( I use this recipe to make rolls too. Form dough into golf ball sized balls, let rise until double. Bake for 12-15 min.)
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!