Monday, May 3, 2010

Pita Bread

I don't like to pay the price for pita bread from the store, so I tried this recipe.  Now, we won't go back, because this tastes so much better!  These are really fun to make. If you are not familiar with yeast breads, or the steps in this seem different than what you are used to, read Yeast Breads.

Pita Bread

1 Tbsp. yeast
3 cups all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 ½ c. very warm water

Combine in mixing bowl with dough hook, yeast, 2 c. flour, and salt. Mix a few seconds, then add liquid and knead for 7 min., adding enough flour to make a soft dough. Let rise until double. (I use rapid rise yeast, and this only takes about 30 min.) Divide dough into 12 balls.
Roll each into a circle and place on greased baking sheets.
Bake on lowest rack in an oven preheated to 500 degrees for about 5 min. or until puffed and speckled brown.
Let cool on rack for 1 min. and then seal in plastic bag to soften.

Our favorite way to serve this is to tear the breads in pieces and dip them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!