Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rhubarb Meringue Pie

Aunt Elaine was my Great Grandmother's sister. Both of these women were known for their pies.  I remember attending the reunion when I was young and all mom's cousins asking if Aunt Bess had brought pie.  I'm pretty sure they were never disappointed!  This one is scrumptious!  If you haven't liked rhubarb before, give it another go!


Aunt Elaine's Rhubarb Pie
Step 1: Cook until tender-
2 1/4 c. rhubarb
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. butter

Step 2: Mix and add to rhubarb mixture-
2 Tbsp. heaped cornstarch
2 egg yolks (save the whites)
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. heavy cream

Add a few drops of red or yellow food coloring.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake at 400 for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 30 to 40 min.  Then make a meringue out of the egg whites and put on top of baked pie.  Return to oven and bake a few minutes more.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I love Rhubarb pie. This sounds tasty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!