Saturday, June 26, 2010

Favorite Pie Crust

This recipe and method were taught to me years ago by a fellow pie aficionado.   His motto in life was, "I like two kinds of pie, Pie With Ice Cream, and Pie Without."  My personal motto about pie is, "Yes, lets have some!"

Favorite Pie Crust
Cut together:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 cup shortening
1/4 tsp. salt



















Blend together in a separate bowl:
1 egg
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/4 c. ice water

Combine two mixtures, and stir together with a fork until pastry comes together.  Divide into two balls.  Roll out to 1/8 inch thick.  Place in two 9 inch pie pans.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 min.  Makes 2 crusts. (You can also use this as a top and bottom crust for a fruit pie, omit the baking and fill, cover with the top crust, vent and bake according to directions for the fruit pie recipe.)

To form the crust, take one ball of dough and sandwich it between two large sheets of plastic wrap. 

Roll out with rolling pin to 1/8 inch thickness, remove top layer of plastic wrap, reserving it to the side for the next ball of dough.

Invert the crust into the pan and remove the second piece of plastic wrap.

Flute edges or flatten using a fork, which ever design you prefer. Repeat with remaining dough ball.
Jenny

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I love this pie crust! If you want to have enough for 4 crusts, this is the version given me by an ex-Hotel Utah chef (and it's the flakiest, easiest, bestest you'll ever make): 4 c. flour, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 Tbs. sugar; cut in 1 1/4 c. shortening (I sub. 1 cube butter for 1/2 c.), stir together 1 egg, 1 Tbs. vinegar, 1/2 c. water and mix into flour. Sticky wet at first, but will absorb.

Wendy said...

You have no idea how this has saved me. I've made yummy, yummy pie crusts before (grandma recipe), but gave up trying to make them actually stay together long enough to put them in the pie tin. I don't know why rolling them between plastic wrap never occurred to me. But what a pie crust saver it has been.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!