Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

We pulled the garden out yesterday, all the ripe tomatoes and the green ones we hope will ripen.  I made this soup to celebrate--I always feel relieved when the last of the produce is in.  A neighbor shared this recipe with me, it has a chunky texture as written, but if you want smooth, you can puree it in a blender or food processor.

Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
Peel and chop fresh tomatoes to equal about 4 cups
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
dash of ground cloves

Simmer for 20 min. or more for a more concentrated flavor. 

In a large measuring cup, make a roux by mixing 2 Tbsp. melted butter and 2 Tbsp. flour.  Whisk until smooth, then add 2 c. milk slowly while whisking to incorporate.  Add roux to the simmering tomatoes while stirring.  Simmer until slightly thickened and remove from heat before it curdles.  Remove bay leaves.  Makes 4 servings.

Notes:  Don't be afraid of the spices in the soup, they are there, but they don't really announce themselves.  Next time I make this, I am going to saute the onion in a bit of olive oil before adding the tomatoes to soften the onions and increase their flavor.  You can use 1 c. evaporated milk and 1 c. water in place of the milk.  Evaporated milk reduces the chances of curdling the final product.  The soup is pictured with skillet croutons.

Jenny

5 comments:

AO said...

I am TOTALLY making this with the last of our tomatoes..... thanks for sharing. I miss the circle!

Penny said...

yummy!

AO said...

Made this last night, and it was a KEEPER! I did cook the onions ahead of time, but I should have diced them a bit smaller, as some were still a bit crunchy, but I used evap milk and water and it was very creamy. Gonna keep this in mind for next year's garden, and hope I get more tomatoes :)

The Land of the Blue Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Land of the Blue Flower said...

Thanks for another perfect lunch on a cold fall day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!