Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chicken Sausage Gumbo

This is from a neighbor who grew up in New Orleans.  This is a family favorite!

Chicken Sausage Gumbo

¼ c. chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. chopped green bell pepper
¼ c. chopped celery
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 ½ lbs. chicken
½ c. minced onion
¼ c. oil
3 Tbsp. flour
Salt and pepper

Boil the chicken, and de-bone. Measure the broth and add enough water to it to make 10 cups. Cut sausage in thin slices. Combine oil and flour in pot. Stir over low heat until brown and thick. Add vegetables, sausage and 1 c. liquid. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 min. Add remaining liquid and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Serve over rice.

Options: May thicken with more flour and oil mixture. Bouillon cubes, garlic salt, seasoning salt, or Cajun spices may be added for a different flavor. Serves 10

Notes:  I can put this on in an hour if I use turkey wings and drums from my freezer (see here for details) and boil them with all the other ingredients for about 45 min. then take all the meat off the bones and add it back to the soup.  I usually add about 3 bouillon cubes as well.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!