Saturday, May 15, 2010

Note to Self


Do you write in your cookbooks?  I tried a new recipe the other day.  It was called The Ultimate Cookie.  I was in the mood for an ultimate kind of cookie, and could not resist the title.  Well, the recipe either has some major type-o problems, or it was never tested before submission to begin with.  The first batch of cookies could have been called Shocking Pools of Wonder, as they spread all over the pan and grossed us out. Ugh.  Too much shortening, not enough flour.  I say in my head, "I knew the dough was too soft!" Ugh!  So a couple of cups of flour later, I finally get a product which looks like a cookie, but tastes bland and unappealing.  Never fear, my kids + neighbor kids ate them all, but I was very disappointed. 

I learned a long time ago that when this kind of thing happens, I need to make a note to myself. The kind that is NOT just in my head.  I cook a wide variety of things, so I may not come back to a recipe for a year.  By then, I will have forgotten what worked and what didn't.  What trick I used to save a mess etc.  So I write in all my cookbooks.  If we loved something, I note it in the margin.  If we hated it, I cross it right out.  The Ultimate Cookie got this notation: Don't waste your ingredients!

Jenny

1 comment:

Nanette said...

You know, I have a Rachael Ray cookbook with many of these mishap recipes in it-I need to get brave and experiment enough to remedy them but I always chicken out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!