Friday, June 4, 2010

Potatoes with Ham and Peas

This is a family favorite.  I am always a good mom if I'm putting it on the table.  You can cook it two different ways, on the stove top as pictured, or in the microwave. The proportions make a big batch for my crew, but you can easily adjust them.  Chunks of sausage or bacon can be used instead of ham.

Potatoes with Ham and Peas
5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 large onion, sliced
1 1/2 c. cubed ham
1 c. frozen peas, thawed
Salt and Pepper
oil or butter for cooking

Heat about 3 Tbsp. of oil on medium high heat in a large skillet, add onion and sliced potatoes and stir to coat in oil.  Cook stirring at intervals, but letting the potatoes on the bottom cook a bit before stirring them up. If you stir it too much, it will break the potatoes up and get gummy.  Season with salt and pepper as you go. It will take 20 - 30 min. to let the potatoes cook through and get tender.  When they are just about done, add the ham and peas and heat through. Serve with sour cream or ketchup. (Depending on which one of my kids you are...)

If you would like to cook this in the microwave (which is popular in the summer), put sliced potatoes and onions in a microwave safe casserole and dot with butter.  Cook 4 min at a time and stir, adding more butter and seasoning as you see fit.  When the potatoes are tender, add the ham and peas and heat through. 

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!