Friday, February 25, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup

Growing up, I thought this is what people meant when they said they were having Corned Beef and Cabbage.  It was the only one I knew!  My mother made this soup a lot when I was a child, so it holds comfort food memories for me.  My husband had really never eaten cabbage before our marriage, and thought I might be testing the depth of his love the first time I served it.  But, to our mutual delight, he liked it.  This is a great mid-winter soup.  Serve with bread and butter.

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
4 c. peeled, cubed potatoes
2 c. peeled, sliced carrots
4 stalks celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 head cabbage, cut into large chunks
1 can corned beef, cubed
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, bring to a boil, 2 qt. water. Add potatoes, carrots celery and onion, cabbage and corned beef.  Add a little more water if you need to, remembering that the cabbage will wilt down into the pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 min, or until cabbage is tender.  Salt and pepper to taste. We always splashed just a little white vinegar over our individual bowls at the table.

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

Maybe I could attempt this once again.... a different version of corned beef and cabbage.... soup :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!