Monday, June 20, 2011

Green Pepper Steak

This recipe is from my home town cookbook.  I used to make it when we were in college using elk steak.  Now I add more beef and more vegetables to feed my crew.

Green Pepper Steak
1 lb. beef chuck or round, fat trimmed
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Cut beef across the grain into thin strips, 1/4 inch thick.  Combine soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.  Add beef.  Toss and set aside while preparing vegetables.

1/4 c. oil
1 c. green onion, thinly sliced
1 c. green pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. water
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges

 Heat oil in large frying pan.  Add beef and toss over high heat until browned.  If meat is not tender, cover and simmer for 30 min over low heat.  Turn heat up and add vegetables.  Cook about 10 min. or until vegetables are crisp.  Mix cornstarch with water.  Add to pan, stir and cook until thickened.  Add tomatoes and heat through, serve over rice.  Makes 4 servings.

Notes:  I substituted 1 1/2 c. sliced carrots for the celery this time, and found it yummy enough to want to add them in the future with the celery.  I used 2 lbs. of beef, but the same amount of soy sauce marinade.  I added the carrots after the beef, and simmered for 10 min. covered, before adding the other vegetables.  I also did not have fresh tomatoes, so I opened a can of whole tomatoes and used 4 of them, drained the juice into a bowl and added the cornstarch and water to that. Yum.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!