Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mint Punch

This is a refreshing, grown up sort of lemonade.  It makes a concentrate syrup which will last in your fridge for a couple of weeks.  My kids like this, but I make it as a personal treat for me.  I have to tell a sad tale however about photographing this.  I do not own a glass for lemonade.  My friend Molly always teases me about my "fancy" glasses.  She is referring to the vast assortment of plastic, child friendly drinking vessels that cannot actually be considered a "glass" which make up my entire collection.  Therefore, I really have nothing to photograph to suggest to you how nice a tall glass of this can be.  Someone pour a glassful and send me a photo!  Molly?

Mint Punch
for the syrup:
2 1/2 c. water
2 c. sugar
Combine in a sauce pan and boil for 10 min.  In a separate bowl combine:
2 c. fresh mint leaves and stems (washed, roughly chopped)
juice of 6 lemons
zest from 2 lemons
zest and juice from 2 oranges
Pour boiling syrup over the mint leaves mixture.  Cover and let cool.  Strain syrup through a mesh sieve.  To serve, add 2-3 Tbsp. of syrup to a glass and fill with Sprite or ginger ale.  Add ice.  You can adjust the syrup ratio to your taste, but start small, as it is pretty strong.  Store this in the refrigerator.

Pull a chair under a shady tree, sit down with a book and your punch and enjoy summer!
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!