Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cheesy Chicken and Cauliflower

Cauliflower may be my favorite vegetable, I especially like it battered and deep fried.  I have a tough time getting my children to eat it though.  I like this casserole and it is the cauliflower dish that is eaten by the most children at my house.  Cheese helps anything go down!

Cheesy Chicken and Cauliflower
3 c. cooked chicken
1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 c. frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/3 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. flour
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 c. water
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. shredded cheese or cubed Velveeta

Parboil florets in water for 8 min.  In a separate saucepan, melt butter, add onion and celery and cook until onion is tender.  Sprinkle flour over the onion mix and stir to coat all the flour in butter.  Add milk and water, whisking to combine.  Stir and cook until sauce is thick.  Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, and cheese.  Let cheese melt.  Drain cauliflower and place in a greased 9x13 pan.  Add chicken and peas and carrots to cauliflower.  Pour sauce over all, toss to coat vegetables.  Top with more cheese if you like.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min.

Note: I think this would be nice topped with crushed crackers, stirred with a little melted butter and sprinkled over before baking.  I haven't tried it yet, but if you do, let me know how it goes.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!