Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Spritz Cookies

This is a buttery cookie dough, made to use with a cookie press.  I have one from Pampered Chef, but they can be purchased from lots of places.  I like to make these when I am short on time, but want something yummy and festive.  They don't take frosting, only cook for 8 minutes and you can color the dough or select shapes for any holiday.  You can sprinkle them with colored sugar or not.

Spritz Cookies
1 1/2 c. (3 sticks) butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and extracts.  Add flour in two batches, mixing after each addition, adding baking powder with flour.  Mix until the dough is uniform in color.  Mix in drops of food coloring if desired.  Fill cookie press with dough.  On an ungreased cookie sheet, hold press firmly and squeeze each cookie.  The cookies don't spread much, so you can fit a lot on each cookie sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 min.  Makes about 5 dozen cookies (depends on the size of your cookie press).

Notes:  I bake two sheets of cookies at a time with this tip.  My kids love to help with these. They like to use the cookie "gun" and squeeze the trigger.  Also, after making these today, I am pretty sure the brown sugar cookies from the previous post would work in a press (without the chilling step).  I'm going to try it next time I make them.  Let me know how it works if you try them first! Happy Valentine's Day!

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

These look so fun! I'll have to check out your cookie press....never heard of them. Collin would LOVE to help make these I'm sure. We made sugar cookie bars instead. I was too impatient to wait for them to cool completely before adding frosting, so they look a little funky, but taste great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!