Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Easy Microwave White Sauce

I have used this recipe since our college days, I just have to make a bigger batch in a bigger bowl now. This is for my friend Sherri, who asked on the Mushroom Soup if you could use it as a substitute for canned mushroom soup in casseroles.  Usually the idea in a casserole is to get the ingredients clingy and creamy, I just use a white sauce, seasoned to suit what ever I am making.  You can add cheese or herbs or about anything to this.   The recipe comes from my friend Kristen.
Easy Microwave White Sauce
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk

In a microwave safe bowl, combine butter, flour and salt, microwave about 30 seconds (melting the butter).  Stir in the milk and microwave for 3 min. Stirring each minute. (Until the sauce is thick.) This much will substitute for 1 can of cream soup in a casserole.

Notes:  I make this using reconstituted dry milk which I make up with warm water.  The sauce thickens faster stirring in warm milk than with milk straight from the fridge.  I am usually doubling the recipe at least.  Use a big enough bowl that you won't have boil overs in the microwave.  I like to add garlic salt, onion powder and any herbs that seem promising.  You can also stir in 1/2 c. cheese at the end of cooking for an easy cheese sauce.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!