Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Apricot Chicken and Rice

I first tasted apricot chicken in Australia when I was on a youth exchange--my host mother was such a good cook! She told me that she only made a few dishes, seven or eight things sticking with what she did well.  It was a good strategy and her apricot chicken was wonderful. Traditionally this dish is a sauce poured over chicken pieces and baked, but here we have a yummy skillet version, served over rice.  My kids loved this.

Apricot Chicken and Rice
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. sesame oil
3 c. chopped, cooked chicken
1 1/2 c. apricot preserves
2 c. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
pepper to taste
tiny pinch of chipotle flakes (optional)

In a large skillet, heat olive oil.  Cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.  Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine and simmer for 10 min.  (If sauce is thin, you can thicken it with about 2 tsp. cornstarch in 2 Tbsp. water to a gravy consistency.)  Serve over rice.

Notes:  I served this at a meal when we weren't all home.  I will need to make a bigger batch next time.  I used homemade apricot jam. You could also add peppers to this...

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!