Thursday, September 27, 2012

Amish Baked Oatmeal

As the mornings cool off, I love a hot breakfast and this delicious baked oatmeal is my latest favorite.  It takes only about 5 minutes to mix this up at night, then you put it in the fridge.  In the morning, you can pop it in the oven to bake while you are in the shower. I especially like it because it can be served now or later (breakfast is often  served in shifts at our house). It is equally yummy cold or even leftover the next day--just crumble it into a bowl, and pour cold milk over the top, eat it just like any other cold cereal.

Amish Baked Oatmeal
1 1/2 c. quick oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1/4 c. melted butter or margarine
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix together.  Pour into a greased 8x8 inch baking pan.  Refrigerate overnight.  Place cold pan in a cold oven, set temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 25 min. Scoop into bowls.  Serve warm with warm half and half and berries.  4-5 servings.

Notes:  I haven't tried this with cream and berries yet.  I love it hot from the oven with milk poured over it.   I'm sure it is even better with fruit. Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. My pan is 9x9, so but the baking time still seems right.

I have a rolled 9 Grain cereal that I have used this with too.  Increase the milk to 1 cup.  It is great with the other grains for variety.

Update 8/13: I tried this recipe using the quick oats, but baking it right away instead of letting it rest in the fridge.  It worked just fine, a bit of texture difference and reduce baking time to 22 min.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!