Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

This is a blast from my past.  All the cookbooks from my mom's era had a handful of entries of this particular muffin and I remember my mother making them.  The recipe is nice because it makes a big batch, but the batter can sit in your fridge for a week.  Makes mornings so easy, and this is a good-for-you muffin as far as they go.  I like them with jam or jelly.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins
2 c. boiling water
5 tsp. baking soda
In a bowl, stir baking soda into water until dissolved.  Set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, cream together:
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 eggs

Combine:
5 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
and add to shortening mixture alternately with
1 qt. buttermilk
Mix well.  Beat in the baking soda/water mixture.

Fold in:
6 c. bran flakes cereal
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp. vanilla

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min. Yield: about 5 dozen

Notes:  You can add raisins to this, or it even works to make this with raisin bran cereal.  Last time I made it, I used 5 c. bran flakes and 1 c. wheat germ.  Next time I make it, I think I'm going to try using brown sugar instead of white.  I make 2 dozen for my family at a time, and usually I get about 4 dozen total.  I grease my muffin cups, and the yield may be higher with paper-lined cups, as they tend to hold a bit less.

You can also bake all the muffins at once and freeze them.  This is great for on-the-go mornings, as a frozen muffin takes only about a minute in the microwave to be hot.  True fast food. :)

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!