Monday, January 21, 2013

Date Picnic Cake

Picnic cakes are usually topped with something other than frosting for ease in transport.  This is a dense cake, with a great topping. My mother shared the recipe, but it came to her from Birdie Hunter--a lovely grandma lady from my childhood memories, who had a way with food.  I think it would be a good one for potlucks at any season or nice served as a breakfast/coffee cake.

Date Picnic Cake
1 1/4 c. dates, chopped
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. boiling water

Place dates in a small bowl.  Sprinkle baking soda over the dates and pour boiling water over all.  Let cool.

In a mixing bowl, combine:
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs

Cream together.  Then add:
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together, then stir in date mixture.  Spread into a greased 9x13 pan.

Top with:
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 c. brown sugar

Sprinkle on chips, nuts, and finally sugar over all.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 min. Test doneness with a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake, until it comes out clean.

Notes:  I had to bake mine a bit longer.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!