Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mashed Potato Patties

This is really a how-to more than a recipe, as leftovers always vary in their content and amount.  These are fun to make with left over mashed potatoes, and my family always welcomes them as a simple week night supper with  biscuits and a veggie. I start with mashed potatoes that I have made with good old Idaho Russets.  I think you can use mashed potatoes made from flakes, but you may have to experiment with the amount of flour to get them stiff enough to hold together when you fry them. Let me know how that goes.

Mashed Potato Patties
about 4 cups cold mashed potatoes
1 cup chopped ham (or bacon, or pepperoni)
2 Tbsp. onion, chopped fine, or use onion powder to taste
1 clove garlic, minced, or use garlic powder to taste
herbs of your choice (opt.)
salt and pepper
1 egg
1/2 c. flour
oil for frying

Stir ham, onions, garlic and any other seasonings you like into mashed potatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  (And do taste them. Potatoes are bland and can take quite a bit of seasoning, the amounts given are approximate.)  When the potatoes are well seasoned, add the flour and egg and mix well.  

Heat a puddle of oil in a skillet on medium heat, when hot, scoop a dollop of potatoes into the skillet and flatten out a bit with the back of a spoon. Cook for a minute or two, then turn to brown on both sides.  Fry a few patties at time, replenishing the oil as needed.  Drain on paper towels.  You can serve them with sour cream if you like.

Notes:  If your first batch of patties fall apart in the skillet, you need to add more flour.  They should be tender, but manageable.  You can use any leftover meat in these, or you can make them without, as more of a side dish.   These would also make a nice warm breakfast.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!