Monday, June 3, 2013

How to Boil an Egg

I know.  I did a mental eye-roll too when they said they were going to teach us to boil an egg in college.  How hard can it be?  You put in the egg and boil it, right?  But just like most cooking, there are specific ways to get the best results, and if you do it this way, you avoid that weird green layer that forms around the yolk when it is cooked too long...nobody likes Frankenstein eggs.

How to Boil an Egg
In a saucepan (that has a lid) place cold eggs and fill with enough cold water to cover the eggs. (Avoid eggs that are visibly cracked.)
Cook over high heat until water boils.
Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 7-8 min.
Immediately drain eggs and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
Peel and eat!  or chop for use in a potato salad or egg sandwich.

Note:  I am at high altitude, if you live at sea level, you may want to reduce cooking time, you can also reduce the cooking time to produce a soft yolk.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!