Friday, April 25, 2014

Irish Soda Bread-Savory

After making the sweet Irish Soda Bread from Sunset Breads cookbook, I wanted to make a savory version.  Here it is.  You can play with any herbs and seasonings you like.  I'm going to add some minced onion to my next batch, and maybe parsley. This is nice with a soup or stew.

Irish Soda Bread-Savory
3 c. flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. crushed dried rosemary
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 3/4 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine, divided

Combine dry ingredients with cheese in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, eggs and 2 Tbsp. of the melted butter.  Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until moistened.  Pour batter into a greased 10 inch oven-proof skillet or cheesecake pan with removable bottom.  Pour remaining butter over the top. You can sprinkle on extra rosemary for garnish.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 min. until brown.  Serve warm.  Makes 1 loaf, about 10 servings.

Notes: to "oven-proof" a skillet, wrap the handle in aluminum foil.  Silicone handles should already be alright in the oven.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!