Saturday, May 29, 2010

Little Pigs and Potatoes

A simple and filling casserole. This one is comfort food to me.

Little Pigs and Potatoes
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick
3/4 lb. sausage
1/4 lb. cheddar cheese
Bread crumbs

White Sauce:
1/4 c. margarine
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
pepper
2 c. milk

Cook sliced potatoes in salted water until just tender, (not mushy).  Brown sausage.
Make white sauce by melting margarine in a saucepan, blend in flour, salt, and pepper.  Add milk slowly, stirring until sauce bubbles and thickens.  Drain potatoes; put a layer of 1/2 potatoes in a casserole dish.  Add a layer of sausage and half the white sauce and cheese.  Repeat layers and sprinkle bread crumbs over all.  Bake in a 400 degree oven until the crumbs are browned, 15 min.

Notes:  If I have them, I often use cubed hash browns in place of the potatoes which makes it faster to put together, but you have to bake it longer. My favorite sausage to use in this are little cocktail smokies that I slice into a few rounds.  In the photo, I have used huge Idaho potatoes and doubled the white sauce, and instead of layers, I stirred the cheese into the white sauce and poured that over the potato cubes and sausage in the pan, stir a little then add bread crumbs.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!