Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sourdough French Bread


I wouldn't be here if I didn't LOVE a new recipe!  This one is new to me.  I tried it yesterday and we were all pleased with the results.  The photo shows the difference between a loaf with an egg wash (on the right) and one without.  The egg wash gives a more elastic crust.

Sourdough French Bread
In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together:
4 c. flour
2 Tbsp. yeast (rapid rise)
6 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt

Add 4 c. hot water and mix.
Add 2 c. sourdough starter and mix
Add 4 c. flour and begin kneading, adding more flour until dough becomes elastic and not sticky to the touch.  It will clean the mixing bowl and form a ball around the dough hook.  Let rise 1 hour.  Punch down.

Flour a surface, I used my cutting board, and turn dough out onto it.  Cut dough into thirds.  Flour your hands and pinch and pull each third into a long loaf.  Place on a greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with a little cornmeal. Let rise 20 min.  At this point you can egg wash if you like: beat one egg white and 1 Tbsp. water together, brush on the loaves with a pastry brush, slash the top of the loaf diagonally a few times and bake at 350 for 25-30 min. or until golden brown.  On the loaf without the egg wash, I spread some butter over it while it was hot.

Jenny


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!