Friday, June 18, 2010

Pork and Red Chili

Do you have those weeks where it is Tuesday and then it's Friday?  This has been one for me!  I am also distressed to post this wonderful dish without a photograph, because I made this just last night, but I do have seven children, and it is summer.  Long story short, at the critical time, I could not find the camera to take the pictures. I was told a long and entertaining story about where everyone had seen the camera last and who had been taking pictures of what....oh, well.  This is super yummy!  You will not be disappointed, even though you won't be able to see what it looks like until either you or I make it again. :) This is seasoned nicely, not too hot. The recipe comes from a cookbook called Cowboy Cookbook.

Pork and Red Chili
3 lbs. lean, boneless pork
2 Tbsp. oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 c. whipping cream

Trim fat and cut meat into one inch cubes.  Brown in oil, remove from pan.  Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook until onion is limp.  Stir in water, sugar, salt and tomato paste.  Return pork and simmer covered about 1 hour.  Skim off fat, add cream, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Serve in warm flour tortillas, garnish with avocado, tomato and sour cream.  Serves 6 (a few more if the appetites do not all belong to adults)

Notes: I served this with Jill's Tomatillo Dressing instead of sour cream.  It was a great combination! I also think this could be made up to the point where it is supposed to simmer, and then be transferred to a crock pot to cook all day on low.  I keep meaning to try this out, but so far, I have only ever made this on the stove.  If you try it, let me know how it works.

Another Note: I made this recently by putting the pork roast in the crock pot and cooking it on high until I could shred it (about 5 hours). Then I sauteed the onions and garlic in oil and made the sauce from there, adding the shredded pork, simmering to heat through and adding the cream.  Worked like a charm! Same great taste, a lot less fuss!
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!